Starting May 1, 2012, Island County will no longer accept latex paint and stain in our Household & Business Hazardous Waste Program. More...
Most businesses in Island County are not regulated hazardous waste generators if and ONLY IF hazardous wastes are disposed of properly and not in the trash. Businesses who are Regulated Generators:
- Generate 220 pounds or more per month of Washington State Dangerous Waste (or 2.2 lbs/mo of Extremely Hazardous Wastes), or
- Less than that amount, but who improperly dispose of the waste in the trash or the environment.
Island County’s Moderate-Risk Waste Collection Facility is open to businesses by appointment to dispose of used or unwanted:
- Fluorescent lamps, CFLs, ballasts
- Oil- based paints, coatings, solvents
- Flammable or Combustible liquids
- Greases, lubricants
- Cooking oils/grease
- Toxic liquids or solids
Disposal by Appointment please phone 360-679-7386; 321-5111 ext 7386; or 629-4522 ext 7386 for details.
Household Hazardous Wastes are used or unwanted:
- Yard & Garden chemicals
- Oil-based Paints & Stains, Adhesives, Removers & Thinners
- Used oils, fuels
- Automotive chemicals and batteries
- Pool & Spa chemicals
- Photographic & Other Hobby chemicals
- Cleaners & Solvents
- Dry-cell batteries (tape the terminals to prevent fires during storage and transport!)
- Fluorescent lamps, CFLs (compact fluorescents) pre-1979 ballasts
- Mercury (thermometers, pressure cuffs, thermostats, batteries…)
- Aerosol cans (that still contain product)
- Propane tanks
- Refrigerants and refrigerating appliances
Dispose of Household Hazardous Wastes free of charge at all County solid waste locations (exclude Island Recycling, Freeland). Large loads (more than 3 cardboard boxes) are accepted at the Coupeville Solid Waste Complex.
Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays 10 am – 2 pm, OR
Monday – Friday by appointment.
Camano Transfer Station by appointment 360-387-9696
Is it a Household Hazardous Waste? Look for signal words on the label. For example:
- Keep away from children
- Keep away from heat or flame
- Use in well ventilated area…
Can you think of more?
Flammable Liquids"Flammable, combustible, keep away from heat or flame"
Toxic"Poison, toxic, harmful if swallowed"
Corrosive"Corrosive, skin irritation, severe burns.” Sometimes “Toxic” with scull and cross bones
Oxidizer"Danger, severe burns, harmful if swallowed, may cause explosion" Do not mix or store with other chemicals!
The following guidelines apply to residential wastes only. Pharmacies, veterinary clinics and other health care providers can visit State of Washington Department of Ecology or call 425-649-7000 for assistance. Please remember that it is not appropriate for health care professionals to dispose of unwanted medications down any drain!
Guidelines for Residential Medications & Sharps Disposal
Guidelines for Residential Medications & Sharps Disposal, Camano Island
Guidelines for Sharps Disposal for Health and Veterinary Facilities
For more information please call 360-321-5111 ext. 7386, 360-679-7386, or 321-5111 ext. 7386.
Thanks for keeping unwanted medications out of Island County waters
Maps as of Yr 2000--Under Revision