Comprehensive Plan Review and Update: Transportation Element
Overview of the Transportation Element Update
Island County Planning and Community Development is in the process of reviewing and updating the Island County Comprehensive Plan. One component of the Comprehensive Plan is the Transportation Element. Island County Public Works is the lead for the update to the Transportation Element.
The Comprehensive Plan expresses the vision and goals of Island County, and serves as the policy document which will shape growth and development over the next 20 years. We welcome and encourage public participation throughout this process. Please contact us if you would like to receive email notification about important meetings or events during the Transportation Element update.
Scope of Work:
There are three components to the Transportation Element Update:
- An update to the County's Transportation Element
- An update to the Freeland sub-area's Transportation Element
- An update to the Skagit/Island Regional Transportation Model
The update to the Transportation Element began in fall 2013. The work is expected to be completed by May 2015.
Please click here to see the project schedule (updated October 23, 2014)
A list of the questions you've asked us so far, and our responses to them, is available here.
The success of the Transportation Element update depends on effective engagement. This includes collaboration and communication between local agencies and Island County residents. The primary forums for agency coordination are the Project Advisory Committee (PAC) meetings and land use workshops with local agency planners. The primary forum for public engagement will be through public open houses/workshops.
The full version of the Engagement Plan is available here.
Relevant documents, slide shows and other materials will be posted below when available:
- November 5th, 2013 Project Advisory Committee briefing on the preliminary population and employment analysis.
- December 10th, 2013 Land Use Workshop presentation on preliminary population and employment allocations.
- January 21, 2014 Land Use Workshop presentation on population and employment analysis.
- May 1, 2014 Project Advisory Committee briefing on Concurrency and Level of Service Standards
- July 8, 2014 Project Advisory Committee discussion about Concurrency Management Options
- Take a look at the display boards from our July open houses.
- October 2, 2014 Project Advisory Committee paper on Concurrency Program Update and a powerpont slideshow too.
Questions, Comments and Suggestions:
We welcome your questions, comments and suggestions about the Transportation Element update. Answers to the questions we receive are posted towards the top of this web page.
6th and Main Streets
P.O. Box 5000
Coupeville, WA 98239-5000
Tel: (360) 678-5111
From Camano: (360) 629-4522
S. Whidbey: (360) 321-5111
FAX: (360) 678-4550