On December 20, 2010 the Board of Island County Commissioners adopted the Clean Water Utility to address concerns related to water quantity and quality in Island County. Through the utility, the county will collect fees from property owners to fund specific surface water and ground water programs.
For more information on the utility, please contact the county:
From Camano call (360) 629-4522, extension 6069
From South Whidbey call (360) 321-5111, extension 6069
From Central & North Whidbey call (360) 678-5111, extension 6069
Geographic BoundariesThe Clean Water Utility encompasses all of
Island County, except:
- Properties within the corporate limits of Oak Harbor, Langley, and Coupeville
- Properties within the Marshall Drainage Basin Utility
- Properties owned by the Federal Government, the State and the County
- Rainwater harvesting projects for commercial development receive a 10% reduction
- Forest and timber lands under RCW 84.33 and 84.34 are exempt
- 50% reduction for property owners who
qualify for a senior citizen/disabled person low income tax credit
- 50% reduction for commercial properties for the first three years of the utility
- Rate adjustment for commercial or industrial activities using mitigation available upon application
Programs - A table showing the programs that the utility will fund.
Documents - Ordinances, exhibits, whereases, and related documents
Maps - Various visualizations used during the adoption process.
Brochure - Describing the purpose, process, and programs relating to the Clean Water Utility
Check this page as programs get underway and additional information becomes available.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the utility, please contact Bill Oakes, Island County Engineer / Public Works Director, 360 679 7331.